Thursday, January 20, 2011

Week 1 Reading

I was shockingly surprised by “Don’t Make Me Think” like the title should have suggested to my brain, it was a very easy read. Unlike other books I’ve had to stumble through with college, filled with designer jargon. I liked that Krug’s made it a simple read. I felt like while I was reading, it could have been made to be a blog about website usability. What I have learned from the Introduction to the end of Chapter 2 is that usability does mean everything to the user’s experience. I found while reading and having Krug’s give examples that I have gone through similar issues with websites. And that I am in the wrong in a designer sense of the aspect. I hadn’t yet read the chapters before sketching up my ideas for my website design. Now having read that, my complex idea of my desk and making that my homepage doesn’t seem all that easy to navigate. I could imagine a person sitting down and stumbling upon my website and being confused. Confused by what to click, and why a certain object took them to some of the locations I had noted. Given his “Don’t Make Me Think” way of the web thinking, I would have to change my homepage design to make it more user friendly.

No comments:

Post a Comment